Sex, Prose & Rock'n'Roll

It's a luscious mix of words & tricks, with the odd mp3 thrown in for good measure.

Name:
Location: Sydney, Australia

An NYC mind in an LA world, living and listening in Sydney, Australia.

Monday, June 19, 2006

california in the house


grrrrrrr.

First of all, big ups to the lovely young gent (you know who you are) who sorted tickets to Louis XIV at Rebel Rebel for Princess Paris and myself on Saturday night. We were very much amused, except for the two extremely annoying seppo lads who clearly hadn't been informed the correct application procedure for those who wish to join our entourage. Note: thanks for the drink, Tyson, but pogo-ing up and down incessantly by my side screaming "CALIFORRNYA IN THE HOOOOWSE!" during the better part of the Red Riders' (awesome) set is not the way to my heart. (Claiming to be in A&R for Columbia and offering to try and scam me Arctic Monkeys tickets is a good start, though. THOSE Californians, I liked. In an unrelated matter, I also liked the bassist for the Red Riders. I'm royal. Call me.)
But the Louis boys were great. Huge props to the lead singer: mullet that puts shag carpet to shame + swigging from a bottle of red + fag hanging artlessly from sneer + lyrics like "Pull down your shirt and show me a little tit". So blatantly, unabashedly rock'n'roll. Plus I love the venue; I'd never been to Home before, let alone RR, so it was a great surprise to get in there and find it wasn't a huge chrome-trimmed doof-doof warehouse, but a half-shadowy, half-glowy room (that reminded me, I'm sorry, of nothing more than The Bait Shop - especially from our vantage point on the VIP balcony) with an intimate little stage, plenty of dim back corners with cushiony chairs, and a jewel-like, minute, window-walled back room looking out on Darling Harbour with a tiny stage and clusters of disco balls growing out of the ceiling. The Mares played there after the main show, and Paris & I ducked in there as we were leaving (her delicate legs were protesting after all the walking and dancing). I was keen to see them - they've been recording at Ginsberg Studios with the Expatriate boys this year - but Paris wasn't impressed. What would she know anyway? Two words for you, your highness - Mylene Farmer. Pffft.
But yeah. It was fun. And double props to the DJ (who looked an awful lot like the singer from The Devoted Few) for playing the Pulp song I'd had in my head all day.

Exam time. Musical hugs to all my fellow sufferers at Sinny Yooni. Start working on your friendly local bulk-billing GP for medical certificates now.

~mp3~ Louis XIV - "Paper Doll" (official site)
~mp3~ Pulp - "Disco 2000" (live at Glastonbury 24/06/1995 courtesy of obscuresound.com)
~mp3~ The Replacements - "Fuck School" (buy "Stink" EP from Amazon)

1 Comments:

Blogger catdirt said...

not so long ago i was watching the guy from louis xiv talk about hanging out with the guy from the killers in las vegas. ah louis xiv. have you heard of "young and restless"?

2:27 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Female/16-20. Lives in Australia/New South Wales/Sydney, speaks English. Eye color is green. I am skinny. I am also creative. My interests are Writing/Music.
This is my blogchalk:
Australia, New South Wales, Sydney, English, Female, 16-20, Writing, Music.